On Thursday 25th June the Climate Change Committee will deliver its progress report to the Government.
It will say that the Government is failing in its commitments to reach net zero emissions by 2050, a target already woefully inadequate.
It will say they are failing in their responsibilities to keep people safe.
It will highlight that they are more interested in propping up a toxic, exploitative system that disproportionately affects black people, indigenous people and the most vulnerable in society.
The government’s slowness to act on coronavirus led to tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths. The same is now happening with the climate and ecological emergency. Only this time the science is terrifyingly clear: tens of MILLIONs of lives are at stake.
Why aren’t they listening? Inaction equals death.
We demand our MPs force the government to take immediate preventative action to avoid climate collapse by implementing a covid recovery plan that achieves net zero carbon emissions by 2025.
But since politics as usual is not capable of confronting the major challenges we face, we demand, now more than ever, a fair and representative Citizens Assembly to decide this future together.
On the 25th June, Extinction Rebellion invites everyone to disruptively deliver an ‘Inaction = Death’ letter to their MP telling them the government has failed on COVID and demanding that they don’t let it fail on climate.
WHAT TIME and WHERE?
Meet at 1pm on 25 June on the grass near Derby Rowing Club inside Darley Park in socially distanced groups of no more than 6 people, each 3 metres apart from each other within that group, except for those who share a home. Derby Rowing Club is in Darley Grove, Derby DE1 3FB, UK on the River Derwent at the City end of Darley Park near the iron bridge but we’ll need to assemble beyond it, further into the park, to allow space for passers-by. If you are driving, please park in the streets nearby and not at the rowing club. There is a path through the park for wheelchair users. Map for Derby Rowing Club
WHAT ARE WE DOING?
- Once assembled, we will proceed slowly to the far end of the main park for:
- Main protest.
- Improvise group artwork, make music, hand out flyers.
- The letter will be delivered to the MP’s office in Darley Street, Darley Abbey nearby.
- Then groups of 6 will walk, group by group, to the MP’s office and deliver artwork they will have prepared.
- Each group returns to the park to conclude the protest and tidy up any debris.
WHAT TO BRING?
- Bring at least two other people (the more numerous we are the better).
- Wear black.
- Wear facemasks and gloves.
- Placards inspired by the Letter and this Design Document
- Bring art materials, e.g. flowers, post-its, small posters, etc. ready to improvise a group artwork in the park for delivery to the MP’s door.
- Bring instruments.
- Bring water for drinking, sun hats – forecast is great!
Obey social distancing at all times.
Read the ‘Inaction = Death’ letter we will be delivering: LetterToAmandaSolloway
SIGN UP TO THIS PROTEST
It would be useful to know numbers so sign up to receive updates and to let us know how many people you are bringing: