On this NVDA training, you will find out how to take part in Extinction Rebellion actions. We will cover the philosophy and practice of non-violent techniques: showing you how to de-escalate tense situations, how to interact with the police, what to do if you decide to risk arrest, and how to support others if you choose not to risk arrest.
Every Wednesday – you get to choose which date you want on the link above.
You only need to attend this once, we are offering alternative dates to train more people including Saturdays.
To save time in the session and to be able to explore these together, it would be great if participants looked at these first. What are the principles and values of Extinction Rebellion? What do we mean by Non-Violent Direct Action?
- Great 2 min video on civil disobedience narrated by Stephen Fry
- Download Rebel Starter Pack
- Action Consensus and Rebel Agreement
- De-escalation info to read, ready to try out in breakout rooms during the training NVC De-escalation Handout
- Think up two truths and a plausible lie about yourself, write them down and keep them secret until you are asked.
- Watch this short video of Waterloo Bridge at the April 2019 Rebellion.
Optional further explorations:
- Nonviolent resistance proves potent weapon (Brief article from Harvard University on Erica Chenoweth’s work)
- History and types of Civil Disobedience (from Rising Up!, which is the group that XR evolved out of)
- Five examples of Civil Disobedience to Remember (Guardian Article)
Please also attend Know Your Rights training – see events.