The XR Self Organising System (SOS) enables us to harness group wisdom while remaining agile and able to respond quickly to emerging situations. This is how it works.
- People fill roles with defined mandates (= purpose + domain + accountabilities).
- They have full authority to make decisions and take action within that mandate.
- When making a decision from their role, people are responsible for seeking input from those with experience in the area or those affected by it
- Each circle (or team) has its own mandate and can define and refine its roles.
- For large roles, the circle may create a sub-circle that will in turn self-organise.
- This circle structure widens out to the Anchor Circle which contains all circles.
- Consent and linking ensure that no individual has power over another, and mitigate the negative features of a hierarchical structure.
- Each level of the structure is slightly further removed from the nuts and bolts and take a broader view regarding resource use, purpose and priorities.
HOW POWER IS DECENTRALISED
- Authority is distributed into roles and circles using a collective decision-making process. Mandates empower roles to make operational decisions.
- To add/change a role/circle, a member presents a proposal to resolve an issue, referred to as a tension, and each circle member has the opportunity to object.
- Objections are encouraged, as they represent important information that can be integrated to improve the proposal, before it is either accepted or withdrawn.
- The aim is to get something workable that allows movement forward.
- The decision can be revisited later on, so it doesn’t have to be perfect first time.
- External coordinators attend meetings of wider circles, as equal members.
- This gives every sub-circle equal power to raise objections during decision-making in the wider circle, if they create or change roles.
- Keep roles and circles up-to-date and visible for all.
- This allows every member to discover the structure and contact whoever they need to when making decisions day-to-day.
- Minutes, projects, and other relevant documents should also be transparent, so the whole organism has insight into the history of each part.